Saturday, May 9, 2009

Business Principles

I'm realizing that business is a dog-eat-dog world. Eat, or get eaten. It's like this realization came from someone throwing an Ayn Rand book at me and objectivism hitting me right in the face. Everyone is looking for their own interest. While I'm not going to go in the Gordon Gekko 'Greed is good' route, I do have some good realizations that I've came up with.

1. Take money out of other people's pockets and put it into your own. This idea is the basis on making money. You have to get as much money from others that you can and still retain the customer and their loyalty. I might add to this that we keep the money in our own pockets for as long as we choose. We have to have more income than expenses if we want to stay afloat.

2. Have other people do your work for you. What I mean by this is, other people can do the tasks that you need to do. It might be less costly to get someone to do it if you use the time to focus on something more productive. But what I mean here is to get them to do it for free, either like a pyramid scheme or in marketing. For example, if you have every customer write a testimonial on their blog or on their website for our company, you're going to have a higher page relevance because other people are doing your marketing for you. That's why customer satisfaction and enjoyment are necessary. Once they are happy, in that happy state, we get them to post a banner on their website, which will also give us traffic. Do we have to pay for it? Not really. And hopefully, they'll just do it out of the goodness of their heart. Unlikely though. We have to set up a good campaign for them to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment